DE  |  EN

German language skills
Study programmes at the University of Education of Ludwigsburg require students to have a very good command of the German language. Applicants must therefore prove the adequacy of their language skills by completing either the DSH-2-examination or the TestDaF-4- examination (achieving at least 4 points in each category) before the start of the study programme.

German applicants who completed their secondary education outside of Germany are also required to take the DSH examination or another equivalent examination (e.g. small or large German Diploma from the Goethe Institut, Language diploma from the Ministry of Culture – second level, or the central ‘Oberstufenprüfung’). As a rule, admission to a programme of study is only possible if one of the above mentioned language certificates has been submitted! The University of Education of Ludwigsburg does not offer any German language courses prior to admission to a study programme. Prospective students must apply for a specific study programme.

General Admission Requirements
The prerequisite for admission to a study programme is proof of higher education entrance qualification or eligibility to study at a University of Education  including a subject-specific entrance qualification.

Foreign higher education entrance certificates must be equivalent to the German  higher education entrance examination (‘Reifeprüfung’). The equivalency of certificates is assessed during the application process by the University of Education of Ludwigsburg based on the evaluation recommendations of the central office for foreign education institutions

Selection processes for study programmes with limited space
For EU citizens the application process is the same as for German applicants or individuals who have completed their education in Germany.
A selection process comes into effect for non-EU applicants with foreign certificates when the number of applicants exceeds the number of places for foreign students in a specific study programme. In this case, the final grade on the higher education entrance certificate will be used as the main selection criterium. Other performance records will be used as secondary selection criteria.

Translation of Certificates
If your original certificates/transcripts of records are not in German, English or French, then you must include an official notarized translation in your application.  
The translation must be issued in your home country by diplomatic or consular representatives of Germany. If you are already in Germany at the time of application, documents must be translated by a publicly certified translator.

The Notarisation
In your home country, you can have all your documents notarized at the German Embassy or a Consulate.
In Germany, all public authorities that have an official seal can notarise documents (e.g. city hall, registration office). Documents can also be notarized by a notary public.
the official notarization must, as a minimum, incorporate the following:
•    a notation that certifies that the copy/duplication is identical to the original (Beglaubigungsvermerk – notarization mark)
•    the signature of the notariser, and
•    the imprint of the official seal. An offical seal is normally embossed. A simple rubber stamp seal is not acceptable.

Should the copy/duplicate consist of more than one page, it must be proven that each page originated from the same document. It is sufficient, if only one page shows the notarization mark and signature, as long as all pages and bound and stamped in a way that part of the official seal’s impression appears on each page

Of course each page may be separately notarized. In this case, please note that your name must appear on each page of the original. Should it not be indicated everywhere, this must be noted in the notarization remarks, together with information on the type of document it is.
Should the copy contain information on the front and the backside of the document, and depending on the contents of both sides, then the notarization remarks (Beglaubigungsvermerke) must make note of this (i.e. „It is hereby confirmed that the front and back copies are identical with the original document“). Should this not be the case, then the front and back sides of the copy must be individually notarized. Should the notarized copies of the required documents not fulfill the above-mentioned conditions, the University of Education of Ludwigsburg cannot accept the documents.

Financing your Study Programme, Tuition
We would like to inform you that you are required to prove to the foreign residents’ office (Ausländerbehörde) that you have the means to finance the entire duration of  your stay in Germany (proof of financial support). Without this you will not be approved for a residence permit. In order to cover your basic living expenses in Germany, you will need about 700 € a month.

Accreditation of parts of a previous degree (for teaching degrees outside the EU)
If you have already successfully completed a teaching degree, please contact the following office about accreditation of this study programme:
Regierungspräsidium Tübingen,
Abteilung 7 Schule und Bildung
Postfach 2666 (Keplerstraße 2)
72016 Tübingen
Tel. 07071/200-2088 (Fax. 200-2009).
Here, your programme will be assessed in order to see which courses etc. may be accredited for the study programme of interest in Germany.
You can include the response from the Regierungspräsidiums Tübingen (Regional Administrative Authority) in your application with a request for recognition of the assessed certificates. Please discuss this, however, with the Studienabteilung (study programme office) before you submit your application.

Contact: Julia Pathe-Breckner, Studienabteilung(at), Tel. +49 7141/140-205

Homepage > Courses > International Applicants > International Applicants