Dr. phil. Peter Fenn, B.A., M.A.
Dr. phil. Peter Fenn, B.A., M.A., Lektor
Sprechstunde in der Vorlesungszeit
Dienstag 12.15 - 13.00 Uhr
Donnerstag 12.15 - 13.00 Uhr
- Born and brought up in South London and Kent.
- Education: Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar School and the Universities of Manchester, Salzburg and Tübingen. Degrees from Manchester University in German Language and Literature (B.A., with French studies and linguistics, M.A. by thesis in Modern German Literature), and from the University of Tübingen in English Linguistics (Dr.phil).
- Hans-Purrmann-Gymnasium, Speyer
- Guest-lecturer assignments in Dresden, Hungary, Israel and Norway
- In-service teacher training assignments in Baden-Württemberg (Staatliche Akademien Comburg, Calw, Donaueschingen)
- Longest serving member of Ludwigsburg English staff (since 1971).
Practical language teaching, linguistics, applied linguistics, phonetics, area studies (Landeskunde - chiefly British history), film, modern literature, text and discourse analysis.
Special research interests
- Grammar and syntax: the English verb; sentence analysis; contrastive grammar German-English
- Didactics: language teaching in higher education and teacher training; English error analysis; contribution of linguistics to teacher training
- Pragmatics: general discourse analysis; modality in conversation
- Various public lectures in these fields, in particular at language teaching conferences (e.g. DGFF)
Numerous publications in the following fields:
- English language-teaching textbooks, among others with the following publishers: Klett (Stuttgart), Schöningh (Paderborn), Langenscheidt-Longman (Munich), AKAD (Zurich), VLLA (Ludwigsburg), Eric Cohen (Tel Aviv)
- Particular subject fields in publishing: Grammar and linguistics; British area studies (Landeskunde); general foreign language text work, including short stories and other narrative texts; listening comprehension
Main publications in book form:
Englische Sprechabsichten (with W.P.Rothermel), Stuttgart 1978 - 2003
A Semantic and Pragmatic Examination of the English Perfect
(Series: Tübinger Beiträge zur Linguistik), Tübingen 1987
The All-in-One Package of English: Grammar and Style, Zurich 1986 - 2000
Additionally, various articles and contributions to specialist periodicals, e.g.
Praxis des Neusprachlichen Unterrichts, Englisch, Neusprachliche Mitteilungen, Ludwigsburg Studies in Language and Linguistics, etc.
Nationality, Identity, Education: The Question of National Identity in Complex Societies
(with Bräuer, Hofmann, et al.), Hamburg 2000
Democracy – Education – Society: Aspects of their Interrelationship in Israel and Germany
(with Arnsberg, G., Schneider, K.), Offenburg 2006,